We are now offering the services of a skilled vet tech to offer a cost-effective approach to herd health. We are aiming to maximise farm productivity with a variety of technician-based services, working closely with our vets to review data and implement preventative programs. Our Vet Tech Service is headed up by Shelley Trevellyan.
- Many contracts now require it but more importantly research has shown and we have experienced on farm how regular impartial full herd mobility scoring can really help to improve overall herd mobility.
- Regular scoring picks up lame cows earlier in the disease process, leading to faster recovery when cows are treated and less cost (less milk drop, reduced chance of culling, lower treatment costs).
- Well timed scores e.g. before foot trimming visits, will help to produce lists of cows which would benefit most from treatment.
- Reports (available immediately after scoring on farm) will identify new lame cows, recovered cows and chronically lame cows since the previous score.
- Body Condition Scoring
- Scoring all dry cows and fresh cows regularly and monitoring changes
- Rumen fill scoring
- Rumen fill scores, particularly in dry cows, can give an excellent guide to the adequacy of the diets being fed
- Disease recording
- Transition cow disease are often recorded but not in a way they are easily analysed
- Collecting them regularly and entering on to our system will allow easy analysis
- Recording and analysing the incidence of milk fever, RFM, metritis, whites, ketosis and mastitis in early lactation will show the success of transition management
- Calf weighing
- a vital monitoring tool to assess calf performance and something many would like to be doing, but it can be difficult to find the time. We have weigh scales here and with the right set up we can offer weighing (at 1 week and 8 weeks, to monitor growth rates OR single snapshot of all calves on milk for an assessment of performance).
- One of those jobs it can be hard to find time to get around to doing and then they are bigger than you would like! We can provide regular disbudding at the ideal age with no additional help required from farm staff
- AI service for small herds with semen storage if required
- Relief for on farm staff to cover absences
- Groups of animals e.g. synchronised animals or block calving
- Vaccinating animals
- TB testing help